Lease Terms for State of Hawai‘i agricultural lots
State of Hawai‘i residents that meet the qualification requirements of the Hawai‘i Department of Agriculture (HDOA) are offered a sub-lease with the following terms:
- Long-term lease expires June 2033
- Average cost is approximately $200 per acre, per year
- Farm structures can be built with prior approval, however, no residential use is allowed on the land.
- Land must be in full production within 3 years of signing your sub-lease.
- Conservation plans from Hāmākua Soil and Water Conservation District or Natural Resource Conservation Services (NRCS) are required. This service is free.
- You must maintain a Liability Insurance Policy in an amount of at least $1,000,000 insuring the farmer, Co-op, and HDOA against all claims. Cost for this is approximately $500 per year.
- Members are required to apply for irrigation service through the Honokaa-Paauilo Irrigation District.
New farmers that do not meet the HDOA qualification requirements may apply for a probationary, short-term lease in order to obtain the necessary farming experience.